Monday, June 15, 2015

Week 39: Bittersweet Week with Hermana Underly


'Merica!

But, Texas forever!!!!!!  


HELLO HOLA mi familia y amigos

This week was such a bittersweet week. 

I will go over highlights from this week. 
Monday: we hung out with a recent convert, Ileana, on P-Day. We watched mormon messages like all day! It was a dream! She is super awesome. She is 21 and is so strong. Hermana Pearson, my CCM companion, taught and baptized her. 

Tuesday:  (ha, I'm not sure what happened to Tuesday's events...guess Hermana Underly got distracted:)  

Wednesday:  We helped Ileana move out and make some great changes in her life even when they are a bit difficult. I learned so much about the power of prayer and how aware Heavenly Father is of each and every one of us. It is truly marvelous to feel His love in those moments where we feel like we can't go on. I am grateful for Ileana and he example she is to me of strength and having courage. We then went over to this couple's home for dinner (we had breakfast for dinner!) They both served their missions. She served in Chile and he served in Spokane Washington! They both speak spanish!! It was super cool so see their relationship and just the way they were after they had both served missions. It gave me hope one day I can hopefully find someone (preferably RM) with that foundation.

Then we had Mama Hernandez come our with us and we went to visit some great families that we are teaching. The Cid family: mom, dad, 13 year old boy, Ramses, and 16 year old girl, Galilea. They are awesome! Then we taught another woman- Rosa. Mama Hernandez cleaned the dishes and served while we taught. She is so cute. She is so strong. Hermana Hernandez has a son serving his mission in Africa! We then went over to a less actives home to read the Book of Mormon.

He was reading in chapter 16 of 1st Nephi inthe Book of Mormon.   As we read I really had a change of heart. I am truly thankful for the example of Nephi as he responded when things got difficult. 

18 And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food, behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine steel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because of the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.

 19 And it came to pass that we did return without food to our families, and being much fatigued, because of their journeying, they did suffer much for the want of food.

 20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.

 21 Now it came to pass that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brethren because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs, it began to be exceedingly difficult, yea, insomuch that we could obtain no food.

 22 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did speak much unto my brethren, because they had hardened their hearts again, even unto complaining against the Lord their God.

 23 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?

I love Nephi's positive attitude and faith that he had and continued to have during all of his afflictions. The Spirit touched my heart as we read those verses. 

Thursday: We had a great zone training. It was so powerful and I really learned a lot about how we can become truly converted and disciples of Christ. Zone trainings are the best! I feel so pumped every time. Ileana came with us to zone training. We talked about making the sabbath day a sacred day and delight. I learned even more about the atonement and how the sacrament is so sacred; how it's between us and Heavenly Father. It was incredible. 

After the zone training we had lunch. Then...we had to say goodbye to President and Sister Hermansen. This was very difficult for me. So their names are Dave and Cheryl...my own parents' names. They have taught me so much and shown such a tremendous amount of love to us missionaries. They called us one by one and gave us a letter and then we got to give our President and Sister Hermansen a hug. I love them so dearly. I will miss them. But it is only a see ya later. They are moving to Utah so it won't be too long until I can see them again. 

After that, we had an Hermana come out with us. Hermana Shaffer. She just got back from her mission the night before from... Oaxaca, Mexico!!! It was awesome to have her come out with us and teach! It was a great and bittersweet day. 

Friday: we planned. FUN. Then we went to find this new girl that we had met earlier this week. The girl's friend was over at her house. We started talking to her about the gospel. She seemed pretty interested. She had never seen missionaries like us before. Her name is Adriana. She is 15. She said that we could come over that night and teach her. WE were STUNNED. So, that night we taught her the restoration. She understood everything...very simply. It was great. She has always believed in God but never read the bible or anything. She wanted to get baptized in the catholic church because her boyfriends family is catholic.... We invited her to church. She really wanted to come.  She said that she had never felt this way before. Like she had had other church people come up to her and invite her to church but she never wanted to go. But with us she felt that it was different. She came to church Sunday. She LOVED it. She went to young womens and loved it. She felt that this church was real. She said that people came up to her and said hi to her. We visited Adriana that night with Ileana. Adriana's mom told us that Adriana was glowing when she got home from church. We invited her to be baptized. She accepted. July 18th. Adriana is super excited. MIRACLE. There really are people prepared to receive this gospel. 

Saturday: We biked ALL day. We had an awesome english class. This student of ours, Edwin, who is from Nicaragua, brought us pupusas! 

Also, Sunday: we went out with the English sister missionaries to do kind of a hand off lesson. Her name is Olga. She knows that the Book of Mormon is true. We invited her to be baptized. She said she would need to learn more but she would prepare to be baptized. It was AWESOME. She was impressed with our spanish. The english missionaries said that they would bring spanish missionaries. But when we showed up, Olga was thinking that we were going to be actual spanish speaking missionaries...not some gringas haha 

wow. halfway into the mission. I would not trade this experience for the world. 

I love you all

I love my Savior. 

Hermana Underly 


Love Hermana Lopez


the beauty of small and simple things

Hermana Barker and sister who came home from Mexico mission:)

No comments:

Post a Comment